LAUTOKA CITY COUNCIL
The Lautoka City Council invites applications from suitably qualified candidates for the following positions:
A competitive salary depending on qualifications and work experience will be offered to the successful candidate. All applications will be treated in confidence and should include a detailed resume with contact details of three referees, and are to be forwarded to the Chief Executive Officer, Lautoka City Council, PO Box 124, LAUTOKA or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close at 3.00pm on Friday, 24th July 2020. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
MOHAMMED ANEES KHAN
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
ROLE – TITLE – PROJECT OFFICER
- Position Level: Tech 2
- Remuneration: Salary will commensurate with qualification and experience (to be discussed during the interview). This is a contractual position with an initial period of three (3) years.
- Duty Station: Civic Centre Building, 169 Vitogo Parade, Lautoka
- Reporting Responsibilities;
- a) Reports To: Directly reports to the Director Engineering Services
- b) Liaises with: The Chief Executive Officer and all other Department Heads and Sub–Heads, Stakeholders, other agencies, NGO’s
- c) Subordinates: Manager Engineering Services & Secretary
The Project Officer is responsible for the delivery for of Capital Works Projects. The project delivery is from the planning phase through to the on-ground delivery of broad range of Asset development and projects. The position requires effective Project Management in delivery of projects including planning, scheduling and programming, coordination of physical, contractual and financial resources and managing on-ground project delivery within the Construction and Projects Team. The projects can be a combination of contract and internal Council Construction Projects.
The Project Officer is responsible for:
- Project and Contract Management for the delivery of projects by the Contractors and Projects Team
- Provide construction and technical input for the delivery of Civil/Building Construction projects
- The delivery and reporting of allocated projects to agreed quality standards, within allocated budgets and completed within agreed timeframes
- The preparation of budget estimations and management including the preparation of financial reports required for the Director, Manager and the Council.
- Sound skills in the preparation and process of contract and tender documentation relating to Civil/Building Construction, Landscape and Open Space projects
- Ability to identify and analyse problems to develop and recommend solutions
- Responsible for the development of the project schedule to ensure projects are delivered successfully by the Contractors and Projects Team
- Management and reporting of project milestones, progress of projects/programs utilising council’s Project Management Systems
- Coordination and surveillance of contractors and contracts to ensure agreed outcomes are achieved
- Provide direction and support to staff as required to facilitate development within the Project Team and organisation
- The delivery of a broad range of Civil/Building Construction projects including drainage, footpaths and open space projects, etc.
- Develop and maintain key relationships with council staff and other departments focusing on continuous improvement to drive efficient and quality community outcomes
- Interaction with management team, other departments, Council (Special Administrators), community groups and individuals and representative of government and non-government departments and agencies
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
Performance will be measured through the following indicators
- Timely completion of projects.
- Projects completed within allocated budgets.
- Quality of work as per drawings and specifications.
- Periodic reporting of project progress.
- Coordination of project works with internal and external stakeholders.
- Work ethics.
- Standard of work.
- Transparency and accountability
- Internal Budget Control whilst not compromising standards.
These are the selection criteria, and identify if an applicant is suitable for the role – there must be a specific link to the Key Duties. No acronyms to be included.
In addition to an appropriate qualification (or equivalent relevant experience) the following Knowledge, Experience, Skills and Abilities required to successfully undertake this role are:
Knowledge and Experience
- A tertiary qualification in Civil/Building Construction, Project Management or relevant experience in the delivery of Civil/Building Construction Projects. Preferably Degree in Civil/Structural Engineering, or Advanced Diploma in Civil/Structural Engineering from a recognized institution with considerable experience.
- Project Management experience, including contract, financial project management principles, practices and processes
- Managerial/administrative experience of at least 10 years in the Engineering field.
- Ability to prepare cost estimates for projects, skills in evaluating tenders, reporting and project management.
- Highly developed time management and work prioritisation to plan, schedule and manage multiple Civil/Building Construction projects
- Ability to develop, read and interpret civil/building construction plans, specifications and contract documentation
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision and promote a team environment with relevant stakeholders
- Provide leadership, guidance and support to the Project Team and field staff on Council delivered projects
- Ability to make independent decisions, having regard to policy guidelines and organisation practice
- Have sound knowledge of Local Government Act, Town Planning requirements and process, Subdivision of Land By- Laws & Regulations, Environmental legislations, Building Regulations, Traffic management and other polices/procedures of council, governing laws and standards in the field of engineering.
Skills and Abilities
- Have good oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure and deliver within timeframe
- Ability to handle difficult situations to achieve positive outcomes
- To be computer literate and knowledge in the use of MS Project
All applicants for employment in Lautoka City Council must be of good character, with a background that demonstrates their commitment to the civil service values contained in the Fijian Constitution. Applicants must also be Fijian Citizens, under the age of 60 years, in sound health, and with a clear police record. The selected applicant will be required to provide a medical certificate and police clearance prior to taking up duty.