LAUTOKA CITY COUNCIL
The Lautoka City Council invites application from suitably qualified, highly motivated and experienced candidates for the following positions:
- DIRECTOR FINANCE & ADMINISTRATION
- CITY LAWYER
- MARKET MANAGER
- SENIOR HEALTH INSPECTOR
- HEALTH INSPECTOR
Detailed job descriptions and application form can be downloaded from the Councils website: https://www.mylautokacity.org/careers/
All applications will be treated in confidence and should include a cover letter, detailed resume and filled in application form, and are to be forwarded to the Chief Executive Officer, Lautoka City Council, P. O. Box 124, LAUTOKA, or emailed to email@example.com
Applications close at 3.00pm on Friday, 11th December 2020.
Lautoka City Council is an equal opportunity employer.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
MOHAMMED ANEES KHAN
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
ROLE TITLE: Market Manager
- Position Level: Staff
- Remuneration: A competitive salary depending on qualifications and work experience will be offered to the successful candidate. This is a contractual position with an initial period of three (3) years.
- Duty Station: Civic Centre Building, 169 Vitogo Parade, Lautoka.
- Reporting Responsibilities;
- a) Reports To: Directly reports to the Director Services.
- b) Liaises with: The Chief Executive Officer and all other Department Heads and Sub–Heads, Stakeholders, other agencies, NGO’s.
- c) Subordinates: Market Assistants, Market Attendants, Market Cleaners.
- d) External Relationships: Special Administrators, Government Ministries and Permanent Secretaries, Heads of Departments, Heads of Statutory Bodies, Ratepayers, Vendors, Vendor Associations, Customers, CEOs of other municipal Councils, External Auditors.
The Market manager will directly oversee the operation and management of the Lautoka City Municipal Markets, and Satellite Markets.
The successful candidate will be efficient and self-motivated with the drive to challenge the status quo and bring about positive changes in the management and operation of the markets. With strong leadership abilities, excellent communication skills, and a high degree of creativity, the Market Manager will be accountable for the achievement of the social and business objectives of the Council through the Lautoka Municipal Markets.
- Daily operation and management of the Lautoka Municipal and Satellite Markets;
- Management of the leases of all market tenants;
- Negotiations with tenants, businesses, service providers, regulatory authorities and other stakeholders, for the best deals in favor of the Council;
- Contributing to business forecasts, plans and budgets;
- Liaising with building maintenance service providers to ensure the premises are in good condition at all times and improving accessibility to all markets;
- Ensuring that all tenants adhere to the Market Rules and Regulations, as well as to Council By-Laws;
- Introducing and implementing innovations that will create greater excitement, activity and traffic movement into Market Centres, and
- Ensuring that all market operations support the Council’s commitment to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals and a cleaner, healthier Lautoka.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
Performance will be gauged through the following indicators:
- Timely completion/closure of court actions.
- Problem Solving and complaints handling.
- Satisfying customers changing demands.
- Facilitating demands for socio-economic development for the People’s Charter.
- Quick assessment of the effects of changing circumstances
- Developing coping strategies that influence the positive contributions of various Sections
- Spotting conflicts early on and resolving them to the satisfaction of all involved parties.
- The ability to quickly and independently process ideas and implement changes.
- Transparency and accountability
- Internal Budget Control whilst not compromising standards.
Works activities are well defined and becomes routine after some experience. Requires a lot initiative and innovative abilities.
Essential Qualification: Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture, Business Management, Property Management or a similar area.
In addition to an appropriate qualification the following Knowledge, Experience, Skills and Abilities required to successfully undertake this role are:
Knowledge and Experience
- At least five years’ experience in a similar role in the private or public sector;
- Highly skilled in negotiations and have outstanding communications skills, and
- Sound financial knowledge and demonstrated ability to meet reporting deadlines.
- The incumbent must have a high degree of drive, confidence, excellent communication and leadership skill with the ability to meet deadlines.
- Must be a rational thinker and must exert some sense of maturity.
- Has to be highly motivated.
- Has to have good interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal, analytical, organizational and written skills.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision and promote a team environment with relevant stakeholders.
- Provide leadership, guidance and support to the Lautoka Market Team.
Skills and Abilities
- High professional ethics and integrity
- Good business acumen and interrelation skills.
- Have good oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure and deliver within timeframe
- Ability to handle difficult situations to achieve positive outcomes
- General understanding of project financing and contracts.
All applicants for employment in Lautoka City Council must be of good character, with a background that demonstrates their commitment to the civil service values contained in the Fijian Constitution. Applicants must also be Fijian Citizens, under the age of 55 years, in sound health, and with a clear police record. The selected applicant will be required to provide a medical certificate and police clearance prior to taking up duty.