LAUTOKA CITY COUNCIL
The Lautoka City Council invites application from suitably qualified, highly motivated and experienced candidates for the following positions:
- DIRECTOR FINANCE & ADMINISTRATION
- CITY LAWYER
- MARKET MANAGER
- SENIOR HEALTH INSPECTOR
- HEALTH INSPECTOR
Detailed job descriptions and application form can be downloaded from the Councils website: https://www.mylautokacity.org/careers/
All applications will be treated in confidence and should include a cover letter, detailed resume and filled in application form, and are to be forwarded to the Chief Executive Officer, Lautoka City Council, P. O. Box 124, LAUTOKA, or emailed to email@example.com
Applications close at 3.00pm on Friday, 11th December 2020.
Lautoka City Council is an equal opportunity employer.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
MOHAMMED ANEES KHAN
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
ROLE TITLE: Director Finance and Administration – RE Advertised
- Position Level: Executive
- Remuneration: Higher Salaries Commission.
This is a contractual position with an initial period of three (3) years.
- Duty Station: Civic Centre Building, 169 Vitogo Parade, Lautoka.
- Reporting Responsibilities;
- a) Reports To: Directly reports to the Chief Executive Officer
- b) Liaises with: The Chief Executive Officer and all other Department Heads and Sub–Heads, Stakeholders, other agencies, NGO’s
- c) Subordinates: City Lawyer, Manager Finance, Manager HR & Administration, Information Technology Officer, & Secretary
- d) External Relationships: Special Administrators, Government Ministries and Permanent Secretaries, Heads of Departments, Heads of Statutory Bodies, Newspapers Editors and Journalists, Vendors, Auditor General, CEO of other municipal Councils, External Auditors, Financial Institutions.
The Director Finance and Administration is responsible for the provision of professional internal services for Lautoka City Council and Ba Town Council, including, and not limited to:
- Financial Management
- Legal Services
- Human Resources Management
- Information Technology
- Events, Public Relations and Media.
- To ensure timely preparations of recurrent and capital budgets to meet statutory deadlines.
- Timely completion of audited Annual Accounts as required under the Local Government Act.
- Incorporate recommendations from Audit reports into Councils finance and accounting operations.
- Regular planning of financial sectional functions through Sectional heads at least weekly.
- Plan, construct, and ensure implementation of effective internal control policies, systems and procedures.
- Setting long term finance strategies for the Council.
- Oversee the collection and accounting of all Council revenue.
- Maximise the collection of all Council revenue and reduce Council arrears.
- Innovatively increasing revenue base.
- Oversee the Council procurement, expenditure and insurance management functions.
- Risk assessment and management of risks across all council assets, operations and developments.
- Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to the council for consideration
- Prepare projects and capital expenditure appraisals with Cost Benefit Analysis and Business Case.
- Prepare project papers and submission papers to line ministry and cabinet for approvals.
- Directs financial strategy, planning and forecasts; providing advice on the same to Chief Executive Officers and the Councils.
- Studies, analyzes and reports on trends, opportunities for expansion and projection of future growth of the Councils.
- Oversee the coordination of all legal matters and provide legal services to the Council.
- Ensure compliance with the requirements of all legal and statutory requirements.
- Provide timely legal advice to the Council and Management Team.
- Oversee the management of legal issues and cases and keep all concerned parties informed on the key developments.
Human Resources Management
- Provides advice and assistance to the Chief Executive Officer and Directors on human resources management.
- Oversee the development and implementation of an effective recruitment, resource planning and training system.
- Direct the development and implementation of effective policies and systems of remuneration, performance management, reward and recognition.
- Oversee the management of employment relations and ensure effective relationships with employee representatives and bargaining agents and advises senior management on employee relations and contract issues.
- Advises the Management Team on employment conditions and occupational safety and health issues.
- Direct the management of Collective Employment Contract negotiations and represents the Council in informal and formal disputes processes and forums. Design and conduct short courses to up-skill staff on policy and procedures and any changes.
- Prepare and implement a succession plan for the Department and deploy a skills and knowledge transfer plan.
Information Technology Services
- Provides advice and assistance to the Management Team in information technology management.
- Oversee the development, implementation and maintenance of the Council information technology system.
- Ensure the systems are optimised to maximise synergy, effectiveness, efficiency and economy.
- Effectively direct the planning and implementation of information technology development projects to achieve the Council goals.
- Oversee the management and maintenance of all systems to agreed customer requirements.
- Direct the planning and maintenance of appropriate networks and communications system for the Council.
- Manage relationships and oversee the conduct of transactions with external suppliers to maximise effectiveness, efficiency and economy.
- Identify and advise on information technology training requirements for the Council.
Events, Media & Public Relations
- Oversee the planning, organizing and coordination of official Council events.
- Direct the management of relations with media, Government and other major stakeholders to facilitate the achievement of the wider objectives and interests of the Council.
- Oversee relations with local and international agencies.
- Oversee the coordination and monitoring of strategic and corporate planning within the Council.
- Assist with external and internal coordination of programs including public relations.
- Oversee the proper and timely dissemination of information including website and social media platforms management.
- Direct the coordination of publications and Council events.
Department Leadership and Management
- Prepare, negotiate, monitor and report on operational work plans for the Department.
- Prepare, negotiate, monitor and report on budgets for the Department.
- Measure, monitor, evaluate and improve operational performance within the Department.
- Report to the Chief Executive Officer on overall Department performance and contributions to the achievement of functional objectives.
- Establish performance agreements for direct reports and ensure that these exist for all Department employees.
- Undertake performance management for direct reports and ensure performance appraisal processes are carried out for all Department employees, in accordance with the Council’s practices and policies.
- Maintain and develop the capacity of the Department, particularly the level of skills, knowledge and experience required for the Department to meet its responsibilities and identify appropriate training and development programs to improve and boost Department capacity in achieving its functional goals.
Overall Council Management
- Contribute to the development and communication of the Councils long term strategies and objectives and help monitor their achievement.
- Participate in collective advice and decision making on the Council’s operational plans and resource allocations.
- Contribute to change initiatives and programmes and support their implementation.
- Ensure compliance with the requirements of all legal, statutory and organisational policies and controls.
- Developing suitable financial strategies for the Council, investment management, providing necessary financial guidance to the CEO in the areas of budgeting, risk management, insurance and project finance.
- Deputize for the Chief Executive Officer in appropriate circumstances, as and when required.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
Performance will be gauged through the following indicators:
- Timely completion of monthly & yearly Financial Statements and yearly Audits.
- Reducing Rates Arrears & Timely Debt Collection.
- Problem Solving and complaints handling.
- Satisfying customers changing demands.
- Facilitating demands for socio-economic development for the People’s Charter.
- Quick assessment of the effects of changing circumstances
- Developing coping strategies that influence the positive contributions of various Sections
- Spotting conflicts early on and resolving them to the satisfaction of all involved parties.
- The ability to quickly and independently process ideas and implement changes.
- Transparency and accountability
- Internal Budget Control whilst not compromising standards.
Works activities are unpredictable. The position is a highly complex one involving a lot of problems. Requires a lot initiative and innovative abilities.
Essential Qualification: Bachelor Degree in Accounting/Finance, Law, Human resources Management, Public Administration or equivalent.
Desirable: Post Graduate Diploma in Business Administration/Accounting/Finance/Public Administration or equivalent.
Certification: CA or CPA.
In addition to an appropriate qualification the following Knowledge, Experience, Skills and Abilities required to successfully undertake this role are:
Knowledge and Experience
- At least 10 years progressive experience in the area of corporate affairs and 5 years’ experience as manager.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Working knowledge of software packages related to finance and HR. Up to date knowledge of current financial and accounting computer applications.
- Excellent verbal, analytical, organizational and written skills.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision and promote a team environment with relevant stakeholders.
- Provide leadership, guidance and support to the Finance and Administration Team.
Skills and Abilities
- High professional ethics and integrity
- Good business acumen and interrelation skills.
- Have good oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure and deliver within timeframe
- Ability to handle difficult situations to achieve positive outcomes
- General understanding of project financing and contracts
All applicants for employment in Lautoka City Council must be of good character, with a background that demonstrates their commitment to the civil service values contained in the Fijian Constitution. Applicants must also be Fijian Citizens, under the age of 55 years, in sound health, and with a clear police record. The selected applicant will be required to provide a medical certificate and police clearance prior to taking up duty.