LAUTOKA CITY COUNCIL
The Lautoka City Council invites applications from suitably qualified candidates for the following position. This is an executive position and reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer.
DIRECTOR ENGINEERING SERVICES
The successful candidate will lead the Engineering Services Department of the council. A competitive salary depending on qualifications and work experience will be offered to the successful candidate. All applications will be treated in confidence and should include a detailed resume with contact details of three referees, and are to be forwarded to the Chief Executive Officer, Lautoka City Council, P. O.Box 124, LAUTOKA or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close at 3.00pm on Friday, 12th June 2020. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
MOHAMMED ANEES KHAN
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
ROLE TITLE: DIRECTOR ENGINEERING SERVICES
1. Position Level: MGR 2
2. Remuneration: Salary will commensurate with qualification and experience (to be discussed during the interview). This is a contractual position with an initial period of three (3) years.
3. Duty Station: Civic Centre Building, 169 Vitogo Parade, Lautoka
4. Reporting Responsibilities;
a) Reports To: Directly reports to the Chief Executive Officer and the Council (Special Administrators)
b) Liaises with: All other Department Heads and Sub-Heads, Ministry of Local Government, Department of Town and Country Planning, other agencies, Stakeholders, NGO’s.
c) Subordinates: Manager Engineering Services & Secretary.
The Director Engineering Services is responsible to manage the Engineering Services Department of the City Council and to provide professional advice on all engineering, maintenance, project management and related matters to the council and the Chief Executive Officer.
The role will achieve its purpose through the following key responsibilities. Working with relevant staff and service providers, in accordance with legislative requirements:
1. Manage the Engineering Services Department and plan, organize, lead and control the support staff of the department.
2. Provide professional advice to the council and the Chief Executive Officer on all engineering matters. Initiate changes for greater productivity and improved services.
3. Liaise with the other Departmental Heads in the Council office to ensure that the services provided to the ratepayers, approved capital & other works and their maintenance are of the highest quality.
4. Maintain and control Department’s Budget and be accountable to the Chief Executive Officer and the Council for expenditure. Ensure delegations are correctly exercised.
5. Prepare concise reports to the Council and Chief Executive Officer and attend meetings as required.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
Performance will be measured through the following indicators:
1. Work ethics.
2. Standard of work.
3. Transparency and accountability
4. Internal Budget Control whilst not compromising standards.
In addition to an appropriate qualification and relevant experience, the following Knowledge, Experience, Skills and Abilities required to successfully undertake this role are:
Knowledge and Experience
1. Degree in Civil/Structural Engineering.
2. Extensive managerial/administrative experience of at least 15 years in the Engineering field.
3. Ability to prepare cost estimates for projects, skills in evaluating tenders, reporting and project management.
4. Have sound knowledge of Local Government Act, Town Planning requirements and process, Subdivision of Land By- Laws & Regulations, Environmental legislations, Building Regulations, Traffic management and other policies/procedures of Council, governing laws and standards in the field of engineering.
Skills and Abilities
1. Have good oral and written communication skills
2. Ability to work under pressure and deliver within timeframe
3. To be computer literate.
All applicants for employment in Lautoka City Council must be of good character, with a background that demonstrates their commitment to the civil service values contained in the Fijian Constitution. Applicants must also be Fijian Citizens, under the age of 60 years, in sound health, and with a clear police record. The selected applicant will be required to provide a medical certificate and police clearance prior to taking up duty.