LAUTOKA CITY COUNCIL
The Lautoka City Council invites application from suitably qualified, highly motivated and experienced candidates for the following positions:
- DIRECTOR FINANCE & ADMINISTRATION
- CITY LAWYER
- MARKET MANAGER
- SENIOR HEALTH INSPECTOR
- HEALTH INSPECTOR
Detailed job descriptions and application form can be downloaded from the Councils website: https://www.mylautokacity.org/careers/
All applications will be treated in confidence and should include a cover letter, detailed resume and filled in application form, and are to be forwarded to the Chief Executive Officer, Lautoka City Council, P. O. Box 124, LAUTOKA, or emailed to email@example.com
Applications close at 3.00pm on Friday, 11th December 2020.
Lautoka City Council is an equal opportunity employer.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
MOHAMMED ANEES KHAN
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
ROLE TITLE: City Lawyer
- Position Level: Staff
- Remuneration: A competitive salary depending on qualifications and work experience will be offered to the successful candidate. This is a contractual position with an initial period of three (3) years.
- Duty Station: Civic Centre Building, 169 Vitogo Parade, Lautoka.
- Reporting Responsibilities;
- a) Reports To: Directly reports to the Director Finance and Administration
- b) Liaises with: The Chief Executive Officer and all other Department Heads and Sub–Heads, City Ranger, Enforcement Officers, Stakeholders, other agencies, NGO’s.
- c) Subordinates: Prosecution Officer/Legal Assistant, and
- d) External Relationships: Special Administrators, Government Ministries and Permanent Secretaries, Heads of Departments, Heads of Statutory Bodies, Newspapers Editors and Journalists, Ratepayers, Vendors, Customers, Solicitor General, Auditor General, CEO of other municipal Councils, External Auditors and Financial Institutions.
The City Lawyer will be responsible for the provision of professional legal services for Lautoka City Council and Ba Town Council, including, and not limited to:
- Manage the Legal Section including Arrears.
- Recoveries and Enforcement Operations.
- Attend to all legal matters in the Council.
- Appear in Court for the Council, instituting actions for the Council and defending Council in all claims against it in the Magistrate’s Court, High Court, Court of Appeal and Tribunals.
- Provide legal opinions and advice including review of legislation’s.
- Collection of arrears of rates by way of prosecutions and by all other methods available for recovery e.g. Registration of caveats, serving atonement notices, filing Bankruptcy Proceedings and Judgment Debtor Summons upon entering judgments, issuing of Writ of fi. fa; Sale of property under registered judgments, issuing winding up proceedings.
- Recovery of rents due from the tenants for Council premises.
- Recovery of Bus Station, Taxi Stand arrears.
- Supervision of Parking Meter, Business License, Town Planning, Building, Health and all other By-Laws prosecutions instituted by Enforcement and Health Officers and assisting them in matters which are defended by Solicitors.
- Provide legal opinions in all Council matters
- Drafting of By-Laws and other relevant laws which are sent to the Ministry for approval
- Drafting and vetting of Tenancy and Lease Agreements; and other legal documents which are executed by commercial lawyers.
- Attending to land dedication, land transfer and other conveyance documents.
- Advising all departments in matters which involve legal issues /complications and interpretations.
- Coordinating all investigation work of the Enforcement Officers.
- Attending to queries from ratepayers and other complainants.
- Provide monthly updates and attending Finance Committee meeting and the Ordinary Meeting of the Council every month and attending other meetings as and when required by the CEO or the Council.
- Organizing and/or conducting training for staff in the Council by way of conducting workshops.
- Upon request and approval by the CEO, provide legal assistance to other Councils (e.g. service of documents, title searches, filing and related matters).
- Strengthen the strategic reforms by reviewing restrictive legislations and advise Council on new legislations that provide solution to commercial collaborations with other stakeholders.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
Performance will be gauged through the following indicators:
- Timely completion/closure of court actions.
- Problem Solving and complaints handling.
- Satisfying customers changing demands.
- Facilitating demands for socio-economic development for the People’s Charter.
- Quick assessment of the effects of changing circumstances
- Developing coping strategies that influence the positive contributions of various Sections
- Spotting conflicts early on and resolving them to the satisfaction of all involved parties.
- The ability to quickly and independently process ideas and implement changes.
- Transparency and accountability
- Internal Budget Control whilst not compromising standards.
Works activities are well defined and becomes routine after some experience. Requires a lot initiative and innovative abilities.
Essential Qualification: A Degree in Law with good understanding of Local Government Laws and administration and is admitted to the Bar of the High Court, holds a valid practising certificate, having at least 5 years of relevant experience as a Barrister/Solicitor.
Desirable: be a member of the Fiji Law Society.
In addition to an appropriate qualification the following Knowledge, Experience, Skills and Abilities required to successfully undertake this role are:
Knowledge and Experience
- The incumbent must have a high degree of drive, confidence, excellent communication and leadership skill with the ability to meet deadlines.
- Must be a rational thinker and must exert some sense of maturity.
- Has to be highly motivated.
- Has to have good interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal, analytical, organizational and written skills.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision and promote a team environment with relevant stakeholders.
- Provide leadership, guidance and support to the Finance and Administration Team.
Skills and Abilities
- High professional ethics and integrity
- Good business acumen and interrelation skills.
- Have good oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure and deliver within timeframe
- Ability to handle difficult situations to achieve positive outcomes
- General understanding of project financing and contracts.
All applicants for employment in Lautoka City Council must be of good character, with a background that demonstrates their commitment to the civil service values contained in the Fijian Constitution. Applicants must also be Fijian Citizens, under the age of 55 years, in sound health, and with a clear police record. The selected applicant will be required to provide a medical certificate and police clearance prior to taking up duty.