Our objective is to provide an efficient and effective service to all our community to protect the environment , provide healthy and safe lifestyle for all.
The department has the following functions: –
- Enforcement of Public Health Act cap 111
- Food safety Act 2003
- Local Government Act Cap 125
- National building code of Fiji
- Environment Management Act 2005
- Litter promulgation
The Health Department Oversees enforcement of the following by Laws and Regulations
- Open Fire By-Laws , Animal , Garbage , Hawkers , Hairdressers , Sewerage ,
- Health promotion and awareness Programs on all health & Environment related activities
- Public conveniences upkeep , cleanliness and hygiene
- Inspection of public places such as roads, parks , gardens, foot path, waterways , residential lots , commercial , industrial , etc
- Regular maintenance , management and supervision of Vunato Disposal Site, adhering to best disposal practices keeping in mind the environment and user friendly concept.
- Monitoring of the environment and health impacts at the Market and Bus terminal
- Vector/Rodent control- Mosquito surveillance and preventative measures.
- Dog & Animal Control – assist Ministry of Primary industries in controlling the population of dogs /animals in the city and enforce Animal by – laws
- Collection of Garbage and provision of proper garbage pans for easy collection by contractors